Sunday, December 11, 2005

Marathon nr.23 in the books!


It's only the 1st km!
Originally uploaded by juliainitaly.
People have asked me several times this year how many marathons I've run. I would always shoot off a number, but in reality I had no idea because I'd never bothered to count them. So as I put away my Milan City Marathon Medal from last Sunday in my running book I took out all the medals and certificates and photos and counted. Milan was number twenty-three. Before you're too impressed you should know that I've been running for fifteen years now so that's actually not a big number. On the other hand it's not shabby either...
I had a really great time at the race. My friend Lucy (on the right in the photo) ran the first 12km with me and then conveniently took a subway to the finish area. It was freezing a** cold outside and for the first 30km they only had icy cold water at the refreshment stations. Then I hit the 35km station and they had hot tea! Gosh, that was delicious. I had three cups and then took off again. My ending time of four hours, thirty minutes and forty seven seconds was nothing special, but as usual I learned a few things about myself along the way:
- No matter what the time is, I still enjoy the run. I've just learned not to get all bugged out about the final time and just enjoy myself.
- I really really enjoy the training process and can't WAIT to get training again for the next.
- Before I run another marathon I want to go under two hours for the half marathon (right now I have a timing of about 2h02', so it shouldn't be difficult to improve).
- I still have to work on my stamina for the last half 'cause I just did too much walking in the end. I do have to say that I always felt good running though.

My next marathon will depend on working circumstances but should either be in Rome or New York, both on March 26, 2006

3 comments:

anji said...

Congrats on the #23 :D

I didn't realise you were doing one last weekend but I've been pretty self-absorbed lately, hehe...:)

Good luck with whatever race you decide to do!

I've decided to start a get-light list. There are tons of stuff around the house that need to get done. Half-finished projects (*not* all of them are mine but still need to get done)... and the such...

talk to you again soon :)

anji

Anonymous said...

that is impressive and inspiring.. especially the enjoying it bit. you two are sooo smiley in that pic :)

anji said...

I agree DG, those girls look *way* too happy and smiley... heh.

anji