Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Yoga 101

Last month I saw that they had opened up a new Yoga center on the other side of town offering a free introductory lesson. I'd tried Yoga about five years ago at another gym but it left me totally uninspired. I'm not sure why. Part of it was the teacher's fault. She was sort of overweight, though flexible. Not that I need someone like the guy on the left, but it does (at least for me) have to be someone I want to aspire to be like - yogawise. The new Yoga center is really spacious and has morning classes. The introductory lesson was the (male) teacher and just two students, me and another lady. It was really hard! We did really simple poses, but then he made us hold them for a minute and I had to really concentrate on what I was doing. The best part for me was that I held my concentration the whole time on exactly what I was doing - as opposed to making up the shopping list in my head while I did some sort of casual stretch. So I've commited to ten lessons and I'm hoping this will keep me a little more flexible than I've been in the last few years.

3 comments:

Roam2Rome said...

We could all use more flexibility... well, except that guy!

It's not easy finding a class that really captivates you, but it's great when we find it, isn't it?

momo said...

i love yoga, but i'm having such a hard time getting to class. maybe committing to a particular time would help. it is so wonderful for your body - and with all this running and stuff we do to make us tight - the yoga helps to lengthen and strengthen.

definitely let us know how it goes. are you sore today??

anji said...

It's good to have some "you" time :D